Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Pity, not Party


"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy.” – Jessica Dovey*

“That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind.” – Martin Luther King


I remember ten years ago. I remember talking with a friend on MSN who could see the Towers from her work, her absolute shock and horror as she watched the carnage unfold. I remember talking with friends who’d lost loved ones, family and friends. I remember my autistic daughter being terrified and not knowing any words to help her to cope with it.


I remember six years ago when it happened closer to home, deep underground trapped in tunnels, and then on an ordinary London bus travelling its mundane usual route.


I remember watching news reports of terrorists, dissidents, fundamentalists and ordinary people, dancing in the streets in joy and elation. That was shocking… dancing at other people’s pain. The world condemned the attacks and the glee.


I can’t understand the glee now. Ignoring the conspiracy theories for now, the news reports that a man died. His family and staff died. Thousands of people around the world have died. This is a time for closure and reflection, not celebration.


I know many people won’t understand this, but many more will. I hope that those who have been directly affected by his actions find some peace in current events.


Insha’Allah, Deo volente.


*Not MLK

No comments: