Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Romance

You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
John Wooden

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
John Wooden

Never mistake activity for achievement.
John Wooden

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
John Wooden

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
John Wooden

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.
John Wooden

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Wooden was a well known basketball coach in the USA. However what inspired me when I learned of him a few years ago was his utter loyalty and devotion. He met his wife, Nellie, when he was fifteen, and they were together almost sixty years. Nellie died in 1985 and John continued to visit her grave and write love letters to her every month. As he finished each letter, he would add it to the pile of others which he kept on her pillow. He did this every month for twenty five years. He died this summer, loving Nellie always.

Once I was afraid of dying.
Terrified of ever-lying.
Petrified of leaving family, home and friends.
Thoughts of absence from my dear ones,
Drew a melancholy tear once.
And a lonely, dreadful fear of when life ends.

But those days are long behind me;
Fear of leaving does not bind me.
And departure does not host a single care.
Peace does comfort as I ponder,
A reunion in the Yonder,
With my dearest who is waiting for me there.
                                           Swen Nater, inspired by John and Nellie

No comments: